It is a feature of our website that much of the content is contributed by many different third parties and we do not have control over those parties or their opinions. As such, any opinions expressed by the contributors or in post comments are not necessarily the opinions of the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) or John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Ownership of Content
All intellectual property rights in and to this website are owned by or are licensed to John Wiley & Sons Limited and The Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers). Any content or materials published on this website are protected by copyright © John Wiley & Sons Limited and The Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers) or are published under licence from the copyright holder.
By providing contributions to this website you agree that you will only provide materials and content of which you are the author, and grant to the Society and Wiley a non-exclusive licence to make the materials and content available for as long as it wishes to do so.
We publish our content under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license. This means you can republish our articles online or in print for free, provided you follow these guidelines:
- You shouldn’t edit our material, except to reflect relative changes in time, location and editorial style. If you do wish to make material edits, you will need to run them by the author for approval prior to publication. Authors can be contacted by the blue Contact button that accompanies their author profile.
- You should credit authors clearly, ideally at the top of the article.
- You have to credit Geography Directions and include a link back to either our home page or the article URL .
- You can’t sell our material, but it is OK to put our articles on pages with adverts.
- You may have to seek external permission to republish images in our articles. Copyright terms are generally listed in the image caption and attribution. You are welcome to omit our images or substitute with your own. Charts and interactive graphics follow the same rules.
- You can’t systematically republish all of our articles, nor frame the content of our site.
- Quotes: you can quote authors provided you include a link back to the article URL.
- Translations: are technically a derivative under our creative commons license and so require author approval. Many authors will give approval in good faith. Authors can be contacted through the RGS-IBG editorial office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Edits: if you wish to make material edits, you will need to run them by the author for approval prior to publication.
- Signed consent / copyright release forms: are not required, providing you are following these guidelines.
- Print: articles can be published in print under these same rules, with the exception that you do not need to include the counter and links. We would appreciate you sending notification of publication in print to email@example.com so that we can share it with the author.
You agree NOT to submit material which:
- you know or have reason to believe or suspect may be untrue or inaccurate;
- is unlawful, defamatory, contains malicious or negligent or false statements, is obscene, threatening, offensive, harmful or contains otherwise objectionable content (this includes text, graphics, sounds and links);
- has an obviously falsified author attribution or is from a source which has clearly falsified the origin or source of content that is submitted;
- is in part or in whole not entirely your own work without attributing those same portions to their correct source;
- violates the legal rights of others – if the content contains or is based on third party material, the you warrant that you have obtained consent to use such material where such consent is necessary;
- contains within the text any personal information about third parties (for example, email address, telephone number or postal address) without their consent discriminates against others, racially, on grounds of gender or sexual orientation, religiously, in terms of age or disability or otherwise unfairly;
- is likely to contravene accepted ethical guidelines and practices, in particular guidelines which apply to the academic field of the website;
- breaches the Wiley Publication Ethics code;
- advertises, promotes or offers to sell any goods or services;
- contributes content with the intention of committing or promoting an illegal act or inciting inappropriate or unlawful behaviour;
- uses inappropriate (e.g. vulgar or offensive) user names;
- may contain viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content that may damage the Society’s or Wiley’s or other users’ technology.
You warrant that any such contribution does comply with the standards above, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty.
The Society and Wiley reserves the right to remove or not to post any material submitted to the website. The website may be subject to some moderation, however neither Wiley nor the Society shall be responsible as author, editor or publisher of any contributions included in the website and we expressly exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of the content by any person.
All comments, letters and discussion items will be attributed to the contributor in the form provided in the submission. You agree to the use of your name and position on the Website in connection with your contribution.
Access to and use of this Website
In accessing any part of this website, you agree not to use the website:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards;
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam);
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
Warranty & Liability Limitations
THE WEBSITE AND ALL MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE; THE USE OF THE WEBSITE IS AT THE AUTHORIZED USER’S OWN RISK; ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE MAY BE INTERRUPTED AND MAY NOT BE ERROR FREE; AND NEITHER WILEY, THE SOCIETY NOR ANYONE ELSE INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING OR DELIVERING THE WEBSITE, SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE AUTHORIZED USER’S USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEBSITE.
Privacy and Data Protection
Information about how the RGS-IBG collects, uses and looks after personal data is available via: https://www.rgs.org/privacy-notice/